Saturday, March 16, 2013

Traumas of Law Enforcement Training

I returned home Thursday morning after three fantastic days of Traumas Law Enforcement Training. Usually I would get bored in conferences when I attended leadership conferences through the school districts. This particular training had me captured from the moment it began. The speakers were phenominal, enthusiastic and knew their subject well.

I met so many people who shared stories with me and I with them. They were fun to be around and I learned something from everyone I came in contact with. Because I am not in law enforcement but a survivor of a sheriff deputy I questioned, "Why am I here?" That question was answered immediately when Jennifer began speaking. I learned all about law enforcement and what they go through and how they relate to others. I learned that as a survivor I AM important as I am not only the Washington State Concerns Of Police Survivors Suicide Liaison but I am sharing my story and helping those I don't even know who are struggling.

I was not a scheduled speaker but I had Matt's Last Call: Surviving Our Protectors available to purchase. At a break on Wednesday morning a couple of my board members told me I needed to speak and let everyone know who I am and that I am here as a resource to anyone. So they made it possible for me to speak right before lunch. Many came up to me touched by what I had to say, some were in tears and couldn't get the words out - yet I knew what they were trying to say.

Through my friend John Marx of COPSALIVE, I met Bob Douglas of National Police Suicide Foundation, INC who wasour suicide speaker on Wednesday morning. Oh, did we have fun. He is an animated man who certainly knows his subject. We quickly became friends and he is going to promote Matt's Last Call: Surviving Our Protectors on his tour. Thank you John for introducing me to Bob.

Friendships were made throughout the three days and I am thankful to have had the opportunity to be part of such a great organization.

God lead me through writing Matt's Last Call: Surviving Our Protectors and now He is giving me the opportunity to share my story with others. May God Bless ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT AND FIRST RESPONDERS for their difficult and tireless service to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment