Thursday, January 31, 2019

Ignorance

Trying to help those in crisis who have lost someone close is difficult at best. Intentions are good but ignorance often prevails. So, here are some do's and dont's with our words: SAY:
  1. I'm so sorry
  2. If there is anything I can do, no matter how small, I want to help
  3. There are no words to say
  4. I've been praying for you
WHAT NOT TO SAY:

  1. I know just how you feel   -   YOU DON'T!
  2. You will get over this soon  -  THEY WON'T!
  3. Time heals all wounds  - IT DOESN'T
  4. Just be thankful you have other children, etc  -  really?
  5. God must need another angel  -  Avoid platitudes in general
  6. My grandmother, friend, dog, etc. just died, so I understand
 Offer specific help. Invite to Starbucks. Silence can be golden. Your presence is what counts

No comments:

Post a Comment